Friday, February 25, 2011

Just Dessert Chapter 3

This process took me four tries! Oh what you learn when you try something new! I had to dissolve one image OFF the skin due to lack of ink in spots. I also lost a great image due to incompatible mediums - the whole image crackled when I tried to seal it with matte medium! The results were cool but not usable for this!
NOTE TO SELF: using digital ground is NOT a basic technique!
This stage is all about composing. Only two of these elements are staying right now, the image and the quote. The rest are just possible options. My aim is to make the piece look visually yummy. This exhibition is about desserts so I want a piece that makes you feel like you do when you see a beautiful frosted cake or some other confection.
The close up shots show how beautiful the mixed gels and mediums take the acrylic colors and create a textured and varied surface.
The author of the quote was one of the very first gastronomical writers. He wrote about the aesthetics of eating food with all senses. When you read any of the contemporary books on Acrylics they often speak in terms of food. Words like luscious, viscus, stringy or creamy are often used when describing acrylic mediums. My goal on this piece is to accentuate that idea.
I really love watching some of the more creative food channel shows. I think because they are a lot like painting!
One of my favorites is "The Best Thing I Ever Ate"

1 comment:

  1. Never took a final shot of this! Ugh. Guess I need to take my camera to the show!

    ReplyDelete