Thursday, April 22, 2010

What's On the Easel

Time has gone by so fast since my last post. After the solo exhibition my work at school had to take over my time. April break and I am ready to get back in the swing of things again. I need to post my work inventory to my online Etsy shop, start my work for my newest environmental piece, join Pastel Painters of Maine, decide what shows I might like to enter and continue my experiments with Casein paints.

Here are my newest pastels. All of them were started En Plein Air and then completed in the studio.

This pastel is 9x12 inches on La Cart Pastel Card. This paper is not one of favorites because if it gets wet, your done for. I need to use up my inventory. I started this En Plein Air while a photographer pal of mine took shots of the raging Saco River after tons of rain had fallen. Location - Warren Road in West Buxton right where the water meets the edge of the road. Moving water is difficult to represent well because your mind sees so many elements changing very fast.


These four small pastels are from the Eastern Prom looking out over Casco Bay in Portland yesterday. I went out painting with two painter pals. They are very tiny, only 3 1/2 x 5 inches each. I started them En Plein Air and then completed them in the studio. I often do multiple images of the same location all at once. It forces me to work faster and deal with the light changes. These are done on my favorite paper - Wallis. I like to do watercolor underpaintings and this paper can take it. The link will bring you Kitty's blog and her beautiful work.








1 comment: