Saturday, October 2, 2010

Final Installment!

I know I have a full time job when it takes me almost a month to post two very small paintings!


On July 31, 2010 I sat on my front deck for the first time since May 22 to do a small pastel of the view. At the same time my facebook artist pals entered into a month long painting challenge. I decided that I needed to at least try.

My decision was to do each daily painting in the same medium, on the same basic size support and of the same view. I thought that would allow me a chance at success. I learned a great deal during this exercise and here are a few of my lessons:

- about 5 paintings in I realized how dedicated Monet had to have been because I surely could NOT see doing more than five or six views of the same place and he did YEARS worth
- after the 7th painting or so I started to find a focus for each painting such as shadow, mark making, color scheme or mood
- each new painting was the fuel for the next one...I CAN do this
- even when I thought "this looks just like the other ones" once on the wall the newest one claimed its own unique place in the collection
- I do have favorites but not one of them takes first place over the experience of the process
- I LOVE PASTELS
- I LOVE FOG
- I LOVE MOVING WATER
- I LOVE THE DRAMA OF THE SKY
- when I devise a plan of attack I can more easily fit painting into my life

- I NEED to paint, I feel better when I do

final paintings number 31 and 32........it's been a rewarding participation








No comments:

Post a Comment