Tuesday, April 19, 2011

What's On the Easel

 Seems it's really hard to post with a full time job commitment! This week - April break, and I have two commissions to complete!
One is a series based on my "Quote Series" I'm very excited about this because it will be the first time I get to integrate my quote series idea with the concept of the client. This client wants three! This very cool idea combines three favorite flora with three lines in the Lennon "Imagine" The three flowers are gardenia, lilac and, black eyed susan. All three are 6x6 and the text will be a focus. Color will be decided based on the flowers. I decided to actually purchase a gardenia since I have never seen one in real life. WOW! The smell was intoxicating and I will definitely recall that while I create this piece. Gardenias are kind of flat and very open flowers. The white creamy petals almost don't look real. I wore my gardenia corsage to school on the last day prior to break. It reminded me all day about my commission. Step one - gesso then a textural coat of heavy body titanium white. Each one got a different treatment. More later.

 
 

The next commission is for a wedding in May. The painting will have a musical theme and a symbolic mayflower for the month in which they will marry. I love the still shots the client sent me for the composition. I think the interaction of the objects and the symbolic flowers will set up a quite dynamic. During my research I found out that mayflowers are considered endangered! Who knew. I plan on walking down back this week to look for pine tree that are growing near sandy, rocky soil because apparently mayflowers love that. More later.

rough compositional sketch

No comments:

Post a Comment