Sunday, March 22, 2009

21st Century Skills

My profession requires me to be involved with a school wide assessment report - other wise known as accreditation. Although I have been through this process many times, this is the FIRST time that we have been expected to give up weekend time. The amount of time I already spend on my "job" outside of regularly scheduled work time is already much more time consuming than the contractual work week. Personal time used for our 2008 art exhibition last year = 40 hours above and beyond. The idea of using personal off time for work related duties is a sign of the times.

How to make the best of this?

I am reading two books right now. "If You Want to Write" by Brenda Ueland and "Presentation Zen" by Gar Reynolds. Funny thing is, the Reynolds book sites several other books, TED talks and, resources that I have already read. The connecting concept is the idea that the creative process / approach / mind / thinker.... is not only a necessary component of our intelligence but a crucial 21st century skill that requires nurturing if we want to engage in successful progress.

People need time off to rejuvenate, invigorate and refresh. That is what creates a sharp and ready mind for all other work ahead.

Next week? Art Exhibition prep......a minimum of 40 extra work hours along with my regular duties.

No comments:

Post a Comment