Sunday, March 1, 2009

What's On the Easel: Black Iris - Acrylic Painting Progress

This was my very first step towards my next painting "Black Iris"...although, my mother told me recently that this particular Iris has a really beautiful name. I plan on changing the title or adding to it.

Anyway - I see the final as being very high contrast and the flower being very dark - blue violet black, against the yellow oranges of the bali batik fabric. This drawing was done to explore the shape and not the value - will do that in other materials.

This is how I transfer an image to larger or smaller formats without a total restart. It saves time and I can adjust parts that don't work well faster.

I use this to create a series of smaller mixed media practice samples as well as create a full size, 18 x 24 paper drawing that I can transfer on to the final panel. That drawing is then cut up into graphing sections so that I can work with one section at a time. Sounds complex but it lets me create the actual image that I want.

This is the 18 x 24 inch birch panel. It's off to the races! I did not have a blog when I wrapped this panel in fabric so I do not have documentation of the process. Next time I start one of these I will document and post the process!

Time to paint!

No comments:

Post a Comment