Sunday, March 1, 2009

What's On the Easel: Black Iris

Study for "Black Iris" Acrylic Painting. This is my newest painting. The image here is a 7.5"x10.5" pastel study on Kitty Wallis pastel paper. The colors are mostly Winsor and Newton watercolors and a combination of pastels. My favorites are harder Prisma Color to start the piece and Rembrant, Sennelier, Unison and, Rowney to finish it off in softs.

I like Wallis paper the best because I usually do a watercolor underpainting first and the fine textured surface does not dissolve. This allows me to start with rich transparent water color and then add as much or little of the soft pastel as I want. In some places, this painting is 90% watercolor, where in others it is 100% pastel.

This is a careful study of the color and value structure of my next painting, an acrylic on an 18 x 24 birch panel. I will post the steps as I develop this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment